Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Kissing Ball

Hi everyone, Nancy here with a fun holiday project for you.

As I am sure you know that when you step under the mistletoe you are inviting a kiss; but did you ever wonder where the tradition came from?  Like many of our current traditions, this one comes from the middle ages, but was updated during the reign of Queen Victoria.  I found a detailed story here if you are interested, but here is an excerpt....


People would take a potato or apple and tie a pretty ribbon around it as a hanger.  Then they would stick sprigs of evergreen, holly and sweet herbs into the potato or apple until it bristled with them.
The herbs in the sweet ball took on the highly romanticized symbolism common to the Victorian area. Simon and Garfunkel weren't the only ones singing about "Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme".   Each of those herbs plus dozens and dozens more flowers, herbs and plants spoke a unique and private symbolic language to Victorians.  The choice of herbs, flowers and boughs could state love, affection, charity, piety and more.
I decided to create my own version of a kissing ball using some beautiful flowers, distress inks, glimmer mist, a bit of seam binding and a styrofoam ball. 
I used Festive Berries from the Tim Holtz LE Winter Distress Inks to color each flower. (a handful of flowers was all I needed.)
 And then spritzed them with a bit of Dazzling Diamonds Glimmer Mist to give them some sparkle and shine.
 I cut a few holly leaves with my Sizzix....
And inked them with the other two colors of Distress Ink that were in the kit, Evergreen Bough and Iced Spruce.  (hint, a quick fold down the middle, run the fold directly over the pad, and you get a nice vein)
I attached the flowers to the ball using liquid glue.  I find liquid glue works best when gluing items that may still be a bit damp.

To finish off my project I ran a bit of seam binding across the Evergreen Bough,  and added a coordinating rose.  A few pearls in the center of each flower and my kissing ball was ready to hang.

I hope I have inspired you to create a little holiday magic in your home this season.

Hugs.


4 comments:

  1. so very beautiful, what a cool tradition , I haven't heard of that before!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely project!!! I think the layered flowers are really great. Thanks for sharing your ideas Nancy!

    ReplyDelete